It is crucial to have the right equipment when you work out, which is why it’s so important to know how to choose activewear that is both comfortable and high performance. Follow our guide!
01 / 4
Aside from your shoes, your sports bra is likely the most important element to consider. Constant bouncing during certain activities, like running, can cause certain ligaments to tear, which could in turn lead to sagging.
- Choose a sports bra with proper coverage and support, even if you are on the smaller side. A front or back closure will help you get the perfect fit, especially when the bra starts stretching out a little over time.
- The straps should be adjustable, but not stretchy.
- Although stretchy materials tend to be more comfortable, a bra made mainly of nylon / polyester will last longer if properly cared for (wash in cold water using the delicate cycle and hang to dry).
02 / 4
- The tighter and close-fitting your clothes are, the more important it is to check their seams. Whether a piece is made of cotton or manmade fibres like polyester or nylon, its seams should be soft and smooth to the touch to avoid rubbing and irritating your skin.
- In terms of fabric, perforated synthetic clothing helps promote air circulation, while cotton absorbs sweat better—especially if you avoid using fabric softener when you wash it.
- If you catch yourself pulling up your pants with every step, consider getting some with a high or semi-high waist. This will help them stay put, especially if they have a drawstring at the waist.
03 / 4
- Whether you like them short, mid-length or up to your knees, socks help absorb shocks and prevent your feet from rubbing on your shoes, which can cause blisters. Socks made from natural fibres like cotton absorb humidity so your feet stay dry, keeping bad odours at bay.
- Socks with a small percentage of polyester or nylon are more durable, but still very comfortable. Depending on your activity, non-slip socks might also be an interesting option. As for thickness: it’s really a question of taste. Just make sure your shoes aren’t too tight when you slip them on.
In our shopping bags at Carrefour de l’Estrie*
* Inventory and price subject to change
04 / 4
Speaking of which, ask a specialist at a store for their advice on which shoes are best for your activity of choice. Mention which sport you practice and your budget. Can’t decide between two sizes? Always opt for the bigger one.