Carrefour de l'Estrie
Located at the intersection of Autoroute 410 and Boulevard de Portland in Sherbrooke, Carrefour de l’Estrie boasts nearly 150 stores, nearly employs 3,000 people and welcomes 140,000 visitors per week.
With a total area of 1.2 million square feet, Carrefour de l’Estrie is the largest shopping mall of the Eastern Townships region. Our flagship stores are: La Baie d'Hudson, Simons, Super C, Toys’R’Us, Réno Dépôt, Sports Experts, H&M, Best Buy and Winners/HomeSense.
In addition to the superstores, Carrefour de l’Estrie is proud to be the home of the following retailers and service providers, located on the shopping centre’s peripheral lots: Addition Elle/Penningtons, Archambault, Au Vieux Duluth, Bain Dépôt, Bouclair, Bureau en Gros, Caisse Desjardins, Chaussures Yellow, Clément, Clinique Dentaire Carrefour Santé, DeSerres, Dormez-vous, Eggsquis, Lasik MD, Le Grenier, Le Jardin des animaux, Linen Chest, Lunetterie F. Farhat, Mondou, Moores, SAQ, Subway, Tim Hortons and Ultramar.
In July 2013 Ivanhoé Cambridge, a subsidiary of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, acquired a 50% interest in Carrefour de l’Estrie from Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB), who retains the remaining 50% ownership. Ivanhoé Cambridge also became the property manager.
HISTORY OF CARREFOUR DE L’ESTRIE
In August 1972, Marcel Adams, President of Développement Iberville ltée, invested in the construction of a major shopping centre in Sherbrooke to be named Carrefour de l’Estrie. This new mall was inaugurated on October 8, 1973.
Located at the junction of Autoroute 410 and Boulevard de Portland and near Autoroute 10, the new site first attracted superstores like Eaton’s, Pascal, Sears, and Steinberg in addition to some 100 trendy shops.
In 1985, the shopping centre underwent an expansion. A new wing was built at the cost of 10 million dollars with a two-story Zellers outlet at its end. Some sixty shops and a food court were also added to the complex.
In 1999, Maison Simons opened its second store outside the Québec City area at Carrefour de l’Estrie. This new outlet was awarded several international prizes for architecture at its opening.
Over the years, different superstores were added on the lots surrounding Carrefour de l’Estrie: Bureau en Gros, Best Buy, Chaussures Yellow, Rona l’Entrepôt, Winners/HomeSense.
A fully renovated food court has been added to the wide range of retailers in 2013.
Eaton’s was replaced by the Bay in 2000.
The shopping centre was sold on December 1, 2005. The Canada Pension Fund purchased a 90% interest and Westerkirk Capital purchased the remaining 10%. In July 2013 Ivanhoé Cambridge, a subsidiary of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, acquired a 50% interest in Carrefour de l’Estrie from Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB), who retains the remaining 50% ownership. Ivanhoé Cambridge also became the property manager. Today, Carrefour de l’Estrie boasts nearly 150 stores, nearly employs 3,000 people and welcomes 13=40,000 visitors per week. This major regional shopping centre is at the forefront of fashion trends and supports the regional economy, and is also a reflection of the culture in the Eastern Townships.